7.6 Earthquake in Nicoya Costa Rica Today

Earthquake in Nicoya Thursday Sept 6th 2012


I just did a 12′ rail slide down my railing, running for my life out of my house. See my house is on top of a hill, on top of stilts. Now there are a lot of stilts holding up the house, but regardless, it felt like the house was coming down. it sounded like the house was coming down.

Let me back up a little bit. I woke up this morning and made a fresh juice using carrots, apples, peanut butter, bananas, pineapple and oranges. Went up on the roof and said good morning to the world, drank the juice and did my stretching and yoga. I cleaned up the house a bit, and started to get ready to go into town to get food for the week or two. I was all ready to go and ready to walk out the house when I herd a loud Mac Truck making its way through the rain forest. Then, all of a sudden, the house just shook, and shook, and shook. I looked around like what to do, and then it was just instinct, get out side. Once outside, The earth still shook, and shook, and shook. It felt like the earth could have just slid away, or exploded with a tiny fart. The trees were standing still then in an instant shaking like a giant was shaking them out of the ground. You could see the house move side to side and the ground move up and down with every tremor.

The shaking stops and I go back inside. the house is a mess! tables knocked over, books on the floor, lamps leaning sideways. I moved my bag to the center of the room before the earthquake and because of that, that saved the bulb on the lamp from smashing into a million pieces on the floor. My laptop fell off the little speaker stand I was using and was now on top of my NS6. My GoPro was on the floor, facing up and ON…. so i started to document. Then I go to the bathroom, discover there is no power, then I discover my $600 bottles of Egyptian oil… Two out of the three are laying in the sink broken open. Good news is, my sinks smells great! I was able to save one bottle, and just a little that didn’t spill out of the other two bottles laying in the sink. Now with no power, and from what I hear, no water, the next few days are going to be interesting. I packed my DJ stuff up in its secure box, grabbed my water bottle and, and headed to the town. Everyone is worried about a tsunami, surfers are going surfing, I think I am going to go back and grab my camera.


Two after shocks felt, everything is good. Power came back on already and the surf is great. Pura Vida! I left in a hurricane and a week later I survive a 7.6 earthquake.

Note to self, live life to the fullest every day!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *